Translate

Thursday, December 15, 2011

THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE

“There are moments in life that make us realise how diversified humans are and yet we are still the same, made from the same ingredients. Life changing moments of awareness, humble us.”

DSC08740 A solitary stopover. A comfort for the weary traveler.

A long time ago, when Singapore was developing, I remember growing up beside a “kampung”(village) Darat Nanas. That was before the International Changi Airport was built. I spent idyllic childhood moments by the beach on the weekends, swimming , eating and drinking coconut juice directly from the fruit. Those days are gone, as Singapore is now a modern and high tech city.Living abroad for almost 25 years, spending most of my years in Australia, I relished the different cultures and food, having also travelled extensively, my exposure to cultural variations have made my life such an adventure. As I adore the outdoors, meeting new people, tasting new foods, and absorbing each experience .

DSC08562 Tondano, a hilly municipal residing above the city of Manado.

The simple life 6

My recent travels, brought a new dimension to the life of the world. I witnessed people who live by simple means; cooking with firewood, cooking with basic utensils made from local and available natural resources, like dried coconut shells, wood, oil burners, and riding horse or bullock driven carts. Amidst nature, they respect their environment by keeping it clean and the friendly nature of the locals, reflected their simple lifestyles  with alot of smiles.

The simple life collage 1

Their day begins at dawn and as long as the sun shone , life was going on, till dusk, when everything slowed down and people stayed indoors and continued their activities. In the vicinity of North Sulawesi, they have their own unique culture, influenced by the Dutch and Spanish culture, I noticed pristine, cleanliness and discipline; music played loudly from mini buses or trucks as they passed on the long road between Manado and Gorontalo.

The simple life collage 3

The scenery was exquisite, green mountains, blue skies, the sea and bay areas, dotted with homes as we travelled dark roads and came to municipals on the twelve hour drive. The sunset was amazing, the dark night sky so clear with stars, something I have missed being away from my home in Australia for so long, the skies in Jakarta are clouded by pollution, so being in the North of Sulawesi took me back to my memories of home, which I miss so very much.

The simple life collage 4

Respect and love, among humanity ; tolerance of different beliefs and culture reflects in the atmosphere and ambience. No, need for racial and religious conflicts as we are all one when we perceive humanity as God’s creation.

The simple life 5

 

The simple life is something we all need to get in touch with, although most of us live in cities, taking quiet trips and exploring nature and country sides, will bring a balance in our lives. It will allow us to bring perspectives to our mission in life, when we see how others live that do not have the modern amenities as we do. We can make simple choices when we lead simple lives.

The simple life 7 The simple life 8

Foodcollage 11 The simple life 9

The different sights and tastes of Manado and Gorontalo, where my heart found a new light of love.

Foodcollage2 Great tastes , a variety so tantalising and mouth watering.

“I  want to go back and this time, experience the diving and snorkeling so well known in Manado.”

aerial view collage

My mornings in Gorontalo is a memory etched by glorious sunshine, prayers and calm. A soothing balm for the soul as I sat and had coffee with love and hugs from my zaujah. He and I experienced amazing life moving episodes, committing to one another with love and respect. Total communication and acceptance, as two souls on the same journey, heralding new beginnings and hope for a life  together. He is a sweet soul , an Angel Hearer  beaconed from Heaven. The poems I write reflect all my feelings engraved which now I feel on this physical plane, dare I say souls speak before they even meet?

peaceful mornings colage

He started without a form, came to me as an energy and love, so as it should remain, he has no face or body, for distance is never a hindrance when souls have met before on another plane, before arriving and meeting on the Earth.

And so, this beginning with a never ending, a moment for simplicity to enhance life, simply, by loving & caring; attracting goodness in life .

Gorontalo sights collage Gorontalo sights collage 2

  The simple things in life - click to view 

Love, peace & light

~LorraineNur~

 

 

 

No comments: